Date: 16th April 2016 at 4:54pm
Written by:

A brace from Joe Pigott, his first goals for Luton; helped the Hatters to victory.

With Alan Sheehan skippering the Hatters side at the Kassam Stadium, Luton were hoping that they could get add to the victory, in midweek, over Dagenham and Redbridge, but the Hatters were to get off to a poor start when Oxford took the lead with only two minutes played. The goal came after Roofe fed the ball through to Hylton who beat Justham with his shot.

After the poor start Luton started to settle down and forced two corners in quick succession, neither of which resulted in any effort on target. Luton were playing the ball around nicely as we reached the midpoint of the half but Luton had still to test the home keeper. Just before the half hour mark Ruddock had a good opportunity to get the Hatters level but scuffed his shot wide.

The Hatters endeavour paid dividends on the stroke of half time when they not only equalized but managed to edge ahead as well. The equalizer came after the Oxford keeper, Buchel, slipped enabling Pigott to score his first Luton goal in his eleven appearances. In stoppage time Luton edged ahead when a superb volley from Lee rippled the net.

Half Time – Oxford 1 Luton 2

The second half was late starting with Luton late out of the dressing room but six minutes into the half Oxford were to equalize when Dunkley headed home a free-kick after rea had been penalized for a foul.

Oxford weren`t level for long though with the Hatters once again producing an outstanding goal with Pigott netting his second of the game just before the hour mark sending the 816 travelling Hatters barmy.

Oxford, trying to get back on level terms, saw a header from Mullins clear the bar. With twenty minutes to go Nathan Jones made his first change bringing on McGeehan for Lee. Justham produced a good save to deny Sercombe as Luton hung on to their lead.

As we entered the last ten minutes Luton survived a big scare when Roberts rattled the Luton post. Jones made a second change bringing on Banton for Green with seven minutes left. Hylton should have done better with a header that cleared the bar as Luton continued to hang on.

Pushing forward Ruddock saw the Oxford keeper turn aside his shot for a Hatters corner. Four minutes of stoppage time were announced. Oxford pushed hard but Potts and McGeehan both made heroic clearances. Running down the clock Jones made his last change bring on Howells for McQuiod, but the points were coming back to Kenilworth Road.