Date: 26th December 2013 at 6:48pm
Written by:

And the Hatters march on, although this win was marred by a bad injury to Jonathan Smith.

John Still selected the same starting eleven that had seen off Gateshead in the last Conference Premier fixture and the win today increased our unbeaten record in the reference competition to sixteen games without defeat.

However it has to be acknowledged that Barnet gave us a decent fight and although they were down to ten-men they probably edged the second half.

The early, first half, exchanges saw Tyler forced to save a 25-yard effort from Villa before Benson directed a volley straight at Stack in the Barnet goal.

Barnet tried the aerial route but Tyler showed his class and experience by dealing with anything Barnet chucked into the box, during those early periods of pressure.

Twelve minutes had gone before Luton won their first corner, much to the delight of the 1700 Hatters inside The Hive.

Five minutes later Luton should have been in front but a sparkling move involving Henry and Benson saw Davis nudge his effort against the post.

Lawless was the next to try his luck but his deflected strike looped up and over the bar. But Luton, were soon ahead when Gray got in behind the home defence and his low ball in was smashed home, from close range, by Benson.

Our hosts responded well but couldn`t test Tyler and soon, courtesy of a stunning strike, Luton had doubled their lead. A Barnet attack was stopped and Lawless was away down the left flank, the midfielder cut inside and curled a wonderful shot past Stack to put Luton 2-0 up.

Luton had a chance to go 3-0 up thanks to a defensive lapse, but Saville was able to clear Benson`s effort off of the line. Another move worthy of higher division football, saw Ruddock and Gray combine to set up Lawless but his effort went just wide.

But, as the half-time break approached, disaster was to strike. Jon Nurse went in on Jonathan Smith, a sickening crunch was heard and Smith was carried off the pitch, on a stretcher, with his leg in a splint.

Initially the referee only showed a yellow card to Nurse but he obviously realised he`d got it wrong and changed the colour to red.

Luton seemed to lose their edge after that incident and Barnet, early in the second half, almost reduced the arrears when a cross from Cadogan skimmed across the box without anyone getting a touch.

The Hatters were soon on the attack again but Guttridge saw a shot go well wide. Seconds later another assault forward saw Robinson curl a shot wide from just outside the area.

As we headed past the hour mark, Luton had a glorious chance to make it 3-0 but Guttridge, on a one-on-one with Stack, couldn`t apply the necessary finish.

With 68 minutes completed Luton were to rue that miss when Barnet reduced the arrears. Griffiths slipped and the resulting cross, from Yiadom, saw Hyde head the cross home.

Barnet were now in the ascendency and Tyler was forced to save a low shot from Lopez before the same player, minutes later, flashed a shot over the bar.

Lopez was proving to be a pain in the backside and another attack saw him force Tyler into a save from a header.

Trying to relieve the pressure, Gray had a chance at the back post but Stephens intercepted before that man Tyler again forced a save out of Tyler with a header. Davis then showed his class by producing a great tackle too dispossess Hyde as he was about to shoot before Weston saw a shot fly wide.

Luton survived the three minutes of stoppage time to earn the first three of what will hopefully be nine points this festive period.